Having represented hundreds of companies over the course of our 29 years in business, there are certain themes that we have noticed that repeat themselves when it comes to public relations, marketing and social media. No one is immune to a crisis, but there are 5 situations you can avoid or mitigate if you work with the right public relations and marketing agency.
Top 5 Nightmares:
1. “Best Kept Secret” – It’s amazing how many times we hear companies say this. In today’s media-crazed world, it takes 9-10 touch points for a consumer to hear your message. Whether it’s through a press release, blog, social media post, online ad, social media ad, radio spot, billboard, media interview, or word of mouth, people are overwhelmed by media 24X7. If you are not keeping up and staying in the conversation, you will be ignored. Now more than ever – out of sight, out of mind.
2. Your Product Isn’t as Good as its Marketing – You can take a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink. We can create wonderful public relations, marketing and social media campaigns around a product, service or organization. If the product does not match or exceed what advertising, PR, social media and marketing are saying, your campaign will fail. Make sure your product is as good as you say and does what you say it does.
3. People Know Us for the Wrong Reason – Crises happen. Whether it’s an accident, disgruntled employee, financial issue, or other regrettable situation, it’s the thing that comes up first in a Google search of your company. The best antidote for bad publicity is good publicity. Driving down bad stories is just one-way people will know you for the right reasons.
4. Social Media faux paus – The person who handles your social media (and has done a fine job) decides to be humorous and misses the mark. Humor, while popular and when done well works, can blow up in your face. It’s hard, if not impossible, to take things back on social media. Well thought-out social media calendars provide the planning and flexibility to be relevant and remain timely.
5. “Champagne Taste on a Beer Budget” – Don’t complain when your three-month social media campaign done by a part time consultant for a fraction of what a public relations agency would charge does not work. Integrated public relations, marketing and social media campaigns are momentum building entities that need time and the right guidance to blossom. One-off projects and on again off again campaigns simply don’t work. Commit to at least a 12-month campaign to gauge results.
Whether your business is new or long-established, integrated public relations, marketing and social media campaigns can help eliminate or at least mitigate these common issues.
About Us: The Conroy Martinez Group leads our clients in strategic public relations, marketing and social media campaigns that work. For almost 30 years, our Miami PR firm has paved the way when it comes to integrated communications campaigns. We help you tell a story that translates to success.